She's home

Sunday 5th November 2011

So, I collected the bike yesterday. What a faff!! I collected the keys to my rented garage, needed to get some towing accessories and a number plate from Halfords, went to Rochester to collect the trailer, then Portsmouth area to collect the bike, then back to North Kent... to find I had locked myself out of the garage!! Doh! Not happy, as I now had the car full of bike bits, and nowhere to put them!! The garage now needs a new door lock, which I will probably buy tomorrow as it's less hassle than waiting for the landlord to sort it...

Anyway, the bike was tatty cosmetically, as expected (the seller had been honest about the condition). It needs some TLC, but that's not a big deal as I fancy getting my hands dirty and stripping it down for some paint and touch ups over the winter. I've been assured it runs and rides well, so should just be a general tidy up and a fiddle with suspension. Lots of cable ties, scuffs, home painting etc at the moment but nothing too scary so far.




I have to admit I did something I never usually do... I didn't even hear the bike running before parting with the cash. I am usually a very skeptical buyer and worry about everything, but the battery was flat and I trusted the seller (he's well known in the DSC) that it isn't about to blow up (plus I know where he lives ;) ).  Tried to get the battery off for a quick charge when I got home, but the screws are jammed and I might have rounded them now! grrr. I will look properly tomorrow and try and get some charge in the battery. Not ideal as the rented garage has no power so can't just clip it onto an optimate while the battery is in the bike. A jump start form the car should do it...

Engine and frame numbers intact (frame was slightly hidden/scratched by the fairing bracket but it's there), original handbooks, loads of old services and MOTs which put the mileage at about 7,000 in summer 2009 before the previous owner acquired in Jan 2010 (on my birthday, if that's a sign!) and converted to what you see here. 2 keys, all wiring in place if I wanted to convert back to a road bike (lots of looms are chopped back on race bikes) as well as some spares, and all the old road kit. All in all, I think an honest bike. More photos below, you can see it's had a battery leak and been down the track, so gives me something to do at least.







I was planning on a track day this Wednesday, but not sure if I will now. I would like to get the suspension sorted for my weight first, but then again, it's only down the road at Brands Hatch and it's cheap at £79, so even if I only get a few sessions done it's not the end of the world. Depends whether I can get it to a rideable condition tomorrow. Should be able to get comfortable with it tomorrow I hope.

Have had some thoughts om colour schemes as below. I have 3 spare screens and 3 or 4 seat units (including an R6 style up-swept one), but not sure how many actually fit, or if they were bought to be "made" to fit, so most might be on ebay soon. Also bought some axle stands and a front wheel chock while I wait for Abba stand adapters, then I can get some work done and not have to lean it on the garage wall. I'll post a list of jobs to do soon...


No comments:

Post a Comment