Wednesday 9th November 2011

First trackday on the bike under my belt today! Brands Hatch was very slippy in the morning which didn't really compliment the rock hard suspension. Slippery wasn't the word! I had no confidence being on a new bike in those conditions so took it easy, but still managed to pass a couple of GSXRs, R6s and a 675 in the corners (before getting smoked on the straights, then taking them again later in the lap).

There were two unexpected surprises today:

1) Club MSV were running an ACU licence day for £99 if you were already booked on the track day. This consisted of a classroom session and 18 multiple choice questions in the lunch hour, followed by a 2 lap observed ride. The aim was not to crash, rather than be fast, as the instructor was looking from the point of view of "I'm about to lap this guy in a race, can I safely pass him?". Basically, if you take a reasonable line, are not erratic, and don't crash... you pass.

2) the teacher was Ian Cobby, ex British Superbikes rider and previous Desmodue champ! It was nice to meet the guy after reading about him and his successes on Ducati Sporting Club. Really nice bloke!

...Unfortunately, he also spotted that my forks have some stickyness returning from compressed (stiction?). Only about 5mm at the top of the travel, but may suggest very slightly bent forks or yokes. I need the forks overhauled anyway, so hopefully that can be fixed then.

Immediately after the two observed laps for my ACU test I was waved into the pits by my instructor, and feared the worst: "Was I really that dangerous he had to stop me?" "Have I failed the test that everyone said was a formality?" ... "Don't worry" he said, "your riding's fine and I'm going to pass you on the practical... but your exhaust is hanging off!" Doh! I missed the first session after lunch while I botched a bracket for the exhaust. Another thing added to my list of jobs to do now is to make a new bracket or two...

As the track dried out in the afternoon my confidence grew. I reduced the rebound and compression on the rear shock which seemed to help the shimmying a little, but I still need the spring changing as the one currently on the rear is just too hard. Unfortunately, everyone else seemed to gain in confidence too so while I still passed a few bikes in the corners, they were now giving it the beans on the straight so I found it more difficult than earlier in the morning. Still, the bike felt much more planted in the dry so I can't wait to have it properly set up.

The brakes were also good. I put in new EBC HH pads at the front last night and they feel pretty good already despite not braking much at all today! Still some way to go to bed the pads in properly I think though. I did manage to break my front lever (excuse the pun!) on the way home by putting the bar straps over the lever, tightening the ratchet too much, and snapping the lever in the housing.

All in all, a good day out, lots of progress made in terms of aquainting myself with the bike, seeing what works for me "as is", and what needs improving etc. Add to that I got the ACU test out of the way, and I'm a happy man tonight. :)

Unfortunately, I have a long list of wants and needs over the winter months! Updates will be less frequent from now on, but watch this space...

Pics will follow when I have any from the official photographer :) (assuming I look like I know what I'm doing of course...)

No comments:

Post a Comment