Saturday 10th March 2012 - DD round 1 - Brands Hatch

First race today. What an experience that was!!! Pretty mixed feelings right now to be honest. I knew I was going to be slow, but last place was a little worse than expected! The first meet of the season was my local track, Brands Hatch, so I felt I had to turn out. I would have liked to start half way through the season, do some training, ease myself into it. However, the first round being at my local track meant I couldn't avoid jumping in with both feet. I could drive there each day, and return home each evening.

Lots of the "novice" guys were actually better than I expected. I have done 4 or 5 track days, and always felt more than comfortable in the novice group. I always managed to overtake plenty, and was occasionally overtaken. So, I imagined there would be a bunch of novices I could battle with... WRONG! Some were definitely novices (with a couple of new guys and a couple that raced once or twice last year), but still a good 3 seconds a lap quicker than me. Some were even quicker, having raced in mini motos or pit bikes in the past... not my idea of a novice, but I don't make the rules

Qualifying saw me post a 1min 8sec, not as bad as I thought! There were 3 guys around that pace last year so at least I wasn't slower than the slow guys last year. However, I was still last, and over 3 seconds off the next best qualifier. Fastest in my class was just under 58sec, fastest on the grid (with class A bikes) was 56 secs. I was a long way back...

Still, maybe I could find a couple of seconds once on "race pace"... WRONG! The slower riders last year seemed to pick up a second or so in the race, I lost 2! Best lap in the race was 1min 10 sec :( I was lapped on lap 4, and probably was being hunted down for a second lapping when the race was red flagged due to a couple of the other guys crashing (hope they are both ok. Last I heard there were no serious injuries which is good news!). I had a good start and made up 3 or 4 places I think, but soon gave them up after a couple of corners. I was ahead of one guy who had a misfire, but he retired after 1 lap...

Added to that, I got clipped by the leader while he lapped me, which affected my confidence for a couple of laps. I had a pretty bad wobble as he brushed the right of my bike, but managed to stay on. On a track day they would have probably had a word with him, in racing, it was a "close pass" and a bit of paint swapping but shrugged off. There was even a joking comment of "don't have a word with him as he'll ask you to repaint his bike if you've marked it". Welcome to racing newbie!!

On the plus side, most of the paddock were very friendly. Unbelievably so in most cases. Everyone seemed to have time to chat, offer advice, remind me that they were once slow guys etc. After more than one problem during the test day on Friday and today's race day, a number of the other racers rallied round to help. Sometimes it was as simple as showing me how to remove the rear wheel, tips on brake bleeding, lending me tools etc. All of this was very much appreciated and made the whole experience less daunting for me.

There are two more races tomorrow, but after today I am seriously considering taking some training and trackdays before racing again. I really want to continue, but feel that I need to find at least a little pace first. I don't want to potentially be dangerous to others, and don't want to be "racing" on my own with everyone else being scored by how many laps they put on me. ;) Most of the lack of speed is in my head: braking too early, not leaning enough, not hanging off the bike enough etc but maybe something like California Superbike School would help me out.

Anyway, I'll see what tomorrow brings, and how many laps get put on my in the morning. I'm hoping 4 or less for the leaders, and hoping to finish the race at least on the same lap as someone else (I don't want to be lapped by EVERYONE!)

A few pics below. I'm in the red black and white leather, number 82, on the black bike with yellow frame and wheels

On the grid:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

In the garage:
Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


The pack coming towards the 3rd corner (I'm pretty much right at the back so out of shot :( )
Photobucket

Photobucket

About to be lapped a couple of times... think the first photo is just before I was clipped :(

Photobucket

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment