Sunday 19th February 2012

So, I managed a track day yesterday after the recent work by HM Racing. At a rain soaked Oulton Park... I had a disaster! :( Anything that could go wrong, did! If I was on my own I probably would have gone home, sulked, and written off this racing business as a bad idea. But, the chats with other racers, and friends, in the Desmo Due paddock has made me think that even if I'm slow, even if I can't build a championship winning bike, I can still enjoy my summer of racing and the highs and lows that will involve. I've had the lows hopefully, so bring on the highs!! A brief summary of my day is below. Thanks to all the other guys in the paddock for help and assistance, and my mate for turning up to lend a hand and share the getting wet! :)

1) Arrived to a dryish Oulton. Had the briefing, went outside... got soaked

2) Battery was dead so needed a jump start

3) Went for noise testing, and my digital speedo unit failed (probably had more chance of working at the bottom of a swimming pool by this point)... Had no idea how many revs I was giving it so was probably over the 5.5k test level. Tester said "more revs please... more... you failed, 105db" (odd as the bike is not that loud and wasn't above 100db last year so I'm blaming a stroppy tester :mad:)

4) Got even more wet

5) Borrowed some baffles

6) Another jump start, still no tacho, went out for a session about 12pm ("the noise test pass sticker must have fallen off... honest")

7) Engine was spluttering and coughing at anything above about half revs. I recon I hit 60mph once in top gear... must have gotten water in somewhere during the monsoon

8) trundled round, learning the track a little. Track is drying and the chequered flag comes out, phew, I can now figure out what's wrong with the bike and at least get out for some track time this afternoon. Get to Brittens I think. Left... right... down. Doh!!! I didn't even have enough speed to carry the bike off the track as I was cruising back in on the last lap, but still managed to bend/snap levers and pegs on the right hand side. No idea what happened but no damage to me at least

so, £71, a trip from Kent, 15 minutes on track (maybe 4 or 5 laps) on a spluttering engine, ending in the recovery truck with wounded pride. Oh well, bring on Brands... :D

2 comments:

  1. was it cold enough to have carb icing or maybe front cylinder getting crud/wet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi, no it was water in the carbs (very similar symptoms to carb icing though)

    Drained the carbs and everything was fine! :)

    ReplyDelete